Do you have Canadian work experience or have you ever wanted to live and work in Canada for a short period of time to gain international experience? Perhaps you’ve considered studying in Canada and are curious about your options for permanent residency once you’ve graduated.


    The Canadian Experience Class, or CEC, maybe the solution!

    Let’s go over how to apply for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and why it’s so underappreciated.

    How to Apply for Permanent Residency Through the CEC Successfully

    In a meeting, a businessman shakes hands | How to Apply for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

    The Express Entry system manages three federal economic immigration programmes, including the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). It allows skilled workers who have spent at least one year working in Canada in the previous three years to apply for permanent residency.

    Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility

    The CEC has four main eligibility requirements:

    Meet the required language levels for each language ability for your job.
    Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for jobs in NOC 0 or A, or Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for jobs in NOC B

    Language test results will be required for:


    Have at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada within the last three years before applying—you can meet this requirement in a variety of ways:


    Have one full-time job: 30 hours per week for 12 months equals 1 year full-time (1,560 hours) equivalent amount in part-time work: for example, 15 hours per week for 24 months equals 1-year full time (1,560 hours).

    To meet this requirement, you may work as many part-time jobs as you need.
    full-time employment at more than one job: 30 hours per week for 12 months at multiple jobs = 1-year full time (1,560 hours).

    You gained work experience by working in Canada while on temporary resident status with work authorization.

    Be eligible to enter Canada

    How is work experience determined?

    If you have skilled work experiences that you were paid for, such as wages or commission, your work experience may be eligible to help you improve your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score. Before being entered into the Express Entry draw pool with other applicants, all CEC applicants must create an Express Entry Profile, which will be ranked and assigned a CRS score. Unfortunately, unpaid internships and volunteer work do not count. Any hours worked in excess of 30 per week will not be calculated.

    If you gained work experience while working part-time, it can be counted if it equals about 15 hours per week, but it must total 1,560 hours. Working more than one part-time job can also help you get the hours you need to apply.

    What exactly is skilled labour experience?

    Skilled work experience is defined by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) using the National Occupational Classification or NOC code:

    Jobs in management (skill level 0)
    Professional positions (skill type A)
    Technical and skilled trades jobs (skill type B)
    Your work experience in Canada can consist of one or more types of jobs at any skill level.

    Step 2: Gather Your Documents

    You’ll need different documents to complete different stages of any Express Entry programme, so get everything ready ahead of time.

    Making an Express Entry Profile
    • To accurately complete your Express Entry Profile, you will need the following documents.
    • A passport or other form of travel documentation
    • Results of language tests in either English or French or both
    • If you want to get points for your education outside of Canada, you must provide proof of Canadian education or an educational credential assessment (ECA) report (if you have one)
    • A written job offer from Canada (if you have one), proof of Canadian work experience, and experience outside of Canada (if you have any)
    • Proof of your Canadian work experience as well as your experience outside of Canada (if you have any),
      Your certificate of qualification in a trade occupation issued by a Canadian province or territory (if you have one)

    Applying for Permanent Residency

    If you are successful and invited to apply for permanent residency, you must upload copies of the following documents:

    a police certificate
    Medical exams
    Birth/adoption certificate (if travelling with a dependent child/children)
    Form of representation (if you are using an RCIC or an immigration lawyer)
    Common-law union form/marriage/divorce/death certificate (if applicable)

    Step 3: Submit Your Resume

    Now that your forms are completed and all of your supporting documents are ready, you can submit your Express Entry profile. Your profile will be scored based on various factors according to the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) and placed in a pool with other qualified candidates. If you are among the top candidates, you will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency.

    You will have 60 days to accept or decline the invitation. Don’t be concerned if you do not receive an ITA. Your profile will be kept in the draw pool for at least one year, or until an ITA is issued.


    I'm Ian, a travel blogger with a background in publishing. My hobby is exploring new places, and here, I share my discoveries from quaint towns and bustling cities. Each trip inspires my next post, inviting you to join me on this exciting journey.